What age should my child visit an orthodontist?
Orthodontics Australia recommend an orthodontic assessment between the ages of 7 and 9, or earlier if you notice any issues. At this initial check-up, we can identify potential problems and, if needed, intervene early while the jaw and teeth are still developing.
Signs something’s not quite right:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don’t meet
- Grinding or clenching of teeth
Call us today to book your child’s first consultation with Dr Eric Saacks – it’s FREE.
What is “two-phase” orthodontic treatment?
This best-practice method involves two separate stages of orthodontic treatment – first when the child still has many or most of their primary ‘baby’ teeth, and then, if needed, when the child has most or all of their permanent ‘adult’ teeth.
Phase 1 Treatment
(from approx. age 7)
Prevents problems, intercepts developing issues and guides the growth of the jaw bones that support the teeth. Early intervention is key.
Phase 2 Treatment
(from approx. age 13)
Moves permanent teeth into their final positions.
My child is only 8 years old. Should I pay for Phase 1 and Phase 2 treatment upfront?
No, we recommend you avoid being locked in to a treatment plan or provider.
You want the best for your child – healthy teeth and a happy smile. Orthodontics are a big investment in your child’s future. You want the most appropriate treatment, long-lasting results and value for money.
Your child’s jaw development and teeth eruption patterns are unpredictable. Future technology advancements and improvements are unknown. Dr Saacks continuously evaluates these factors as your child grows to recommend the right treatment at the right time.
Does Saacks Orthodontics recommend invisalign?
Yes, if Dr Saacks believes that Invisalign will provide you or your child with a quality result he will recommend Invisalign as an option. In some cases, Invisalign may be the best option and in other cases traditional braces may be the best option.
Every case is different, and we will always discuss the advantages and disadvantages of all treatment types. We don’t recommend only one treatment type for all patients.
Modern Treatment Types
When it comes to your unique smile, there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution. ‘Quick-fixes’ carry potential health and financial risks. Dr Saacks will develop an individual treatment plan for you to ensure the best results.
- Customised, personalised treatment
- Suits young children, teens and adults
- Tried and tested, long-lasting results
- Appropriate for more complex cases
- Individual treatment plans may involve expander plates, orthopaedic appliances and modern braces
- New technologies are more comfortable, less visible and efficient
- Clear and coloured appliances available
- Best results for treating complex malocclusions
Clear aligners (eg. Clear Correct, Invisalign)
- Appropriate for adults and some teenagers
- Suits simple to moderate cases of teeth straightening
- The clearest, least visible alternative
- Removable, so discipline is required
- Need to adhere to strict treatment plan
- Wear for at least 22 hours each day to obtain good results
- Can be removed for brushing teeth
- Need to remove for eating
A beautiful smile, and more! Modern orthodontic treatment offers so much more than straight teeth.
- Improve jaw alignment and facial structure
- Help breathing and reduce sleep problems
- Better long-term oral health
- Improve self-esteem
Why choose Saacks Orthodontics?
Dr Saacks is Port Macquarie’s only local Orthodontist and will personally oversee your treatment plan from start to finish. As an internationally trained Specialist Orthodontist with 25 years’ clinical experience,
Dr Saacks brings the latest technologies and expertise from Australia and America to Port Macquarie.
- FREE consultation
- No referral needed
- Visit us from age 7
- Children, teens and adults
- 0% finance plans*
- No down payments*